Well, here it is!
(gluten free, dairy free, wheat free, contains egg whites)
300g of raspberries
500g of caster sugar
20g of powdered gelatine (2 sachets, I think)
2 egg whites
Icing sugar, to dust
- Line a 17x25cm cake tin with baking paper. Liberally dust the bottom with icing sugar (I found out that this is an important step)
- Place the raspberries in a medium pan and cook until they have fallen apart and look like mush--help them along a little by squashing them with a spoon.
- Pass the raspberry puree through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. Mix the de-seeded raspberry mush with the gelatine in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the caster sugar with 1 cup of water in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until all the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 8-10 minutes, or until it reaches 125C on a sugar thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and add the raspberry/gelatine mixture, and stir until it dissolves. It will froth up like a scientific experiment...it's really quite fun to watch.
- Whisk the egg whites and a pinch of salt with an electric mixer until frothy. Gradually add the raspberry/gelatine/syrup mixture in a thin stream, beating all the time. I needed four hands for this part...I think that it is the most difficult. Continue to beat at a medium speed until the mixture has doubled in size.
- Decrease the speed to low, and beat until the mixture is just warm (about 40C)
- Pour into the prepared tin and spread evenly; bang the tin a few times to pop any air bubbles. Dust the top generously with icing sugar, stand until firm (about 3 hours). When ready, cut into squares with a serrated knife that has been dusted with icing sugar.