Sunday 4 March 2012

Procrastination {Date and Walnut Scone Ring}

So it turns out that I have finally gotten cooking as a subject at school. Which therefore means that I will be cooking every Friday; although, unfortunately I can't take my camera to school which means that I cant take pictures. Sad face. But still, I will try me best to write up the recipes that I have cooked. Currently, at the moment, I am meant to be doing an English assignment, titled, "An analytical essay on a political cartoon". So. It's not that hard, really, but seriously...my theory: if there is any form of procrastination anywhere nearby, take it. Seriously. I even cleaned the oven once :P
Anyway, here is my recipe for last Friday:

Date and Walnut Scone Ring:
2 cups of SR flour
1/4 tsp of salt
3 tbs of butter
2 tbs of caster sugar
1 cup of milk (approximately)
1 egg

1 cup of dates, chopped
Few drops of lemon juice
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of chopped walnuts

1 tbs caster sugar
1tbs of warm/hot water

  1. Place dates in a saucepan with the lemon juice and teh 1/2 cup of water. Cook until the mixture is of spreading consistency (basically, until almost all of the water has evaporated). Allow to cool.
  2. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl; rub the butter into the flour with the tips of your fingers.
  3. Beat the egg and sugar together and then add the milk; beat lightly until combined. Stir into the dry ingredients and mix to a moist dough - you may need to add more flour.
  4. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Roll out into a rectangle approximately 30 x 20cm. Spread the date mixture to within 2 cm of edge.
  5. Roll up like a swiss roll, place on a greased tray, twist into a ring, moisten the ends and join.
  6. Cut 2/3 of the way through the ring at 2.5 cm intervals and turn each section slightly onto its side.
  7. Brush with milk and sprinkle with the nuts. Bake at 160/170C for 30 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when tapped.
  8. Meanwhile, dissolve the sugar in the water, and brush this glaze over the ring as soon as it comes out of the oven.
  9. Serve warm or cold with butter :)

1 comment:

  1. oh that was so good... i'm going to make it as soon as we have dates... ;)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis