Saturday 14 December 2013

Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Ice Cream


Summer.

Normally, I would utter that word with disgust. Honestly, Australian summer (when you don't own air conditioning or a pool) sucks so much - it's perpetually muggy, there are kookaburras at four in the morning and many, many mosquitoes. Actually, change that to a significantly large amount of all bugs in general.


However, the pros of Summer here are a) the thunderstorms (ahem - cue Sounds of Then by GANGgajang) and b) the random days, such as today, when the weather does something right and everything is pleasant. No, really, for the past few days there have been clear skies and it's been hot but not humid and I've been to pool parties and been Christmas shopping and everything is just nice. It's times like these I feel especially patriotic. And trust me...there are many times I don't feel particularly patriotic. Like when I find spiders in my bed. Yeah. Not cool, Mr Spider.


Anyway, I bring this post to you as a peace offering (it's been a whole month already since my last post. Can you believe it?), although in my defence my computer was 100% kaputt for most of that time. Like, my hard drive just casually upped and died and now I have to start from scratch again...oh well.

So yes. This recipe is perfect for summer, and exceedingly easy to make. Give it a go - even if you're one of those privileged people who live in the Northern Hemisphere where it is nice and snowy :) I'm definitely going to do a proper Christmas post this year, so I'll see you then!


Live long and prosper,
Kenz x

(Sorry. I've been watching too much Star Trek. It sort of just slipped out.)


Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Ice Cream

600ml of buttermilk
The seeds of 1 vanilla bean / 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste / 2 - 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
300ml of cream
1 cup of caster sugar


  1. In an electric mixer, beat the buttermilk and sugar for 2 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the cream and vanilla.
  2. Pour into an ice cream maker and follow the directions for the machine; alternatively, pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze for a few hours, or until mushy. Beat or whisk the icecream until smooth, then freeze for a few hours more. Repeat the process 2 - 3 more times, until no more ice crystals form.
  3. Keep in the freezer in an airtight container.
Just as a side note, this tastes amazing with crushed Maltesers mixed through. I don't know why, but it does.


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis